Installed firefox web browser and so far I like it.

This forum is devoted to showing off and discussing open source and free software we use and/or think is worth while. If you're looking for software, post your need here and we'll make a suggestion.

Moderator: forhire

Installed firefox web browser and so far I like it.

Postby forhire » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:11 pm

I recently installed Mozilla's latest browser Firefox. It's a fairly light weight browser but so far it has performed very well. At 4.7 MB it worth taking a look at. http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

My main beef with Mozilla (and Netscape) in that past has been inconsistant printing. The fonts have always been ugly. Not with this latest brower! All our internal apps that only printed properly in IE print perfectly in FireFox.
forhire
Site Admin

Postby forhire » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:37 pm

Version 0.9.2 has been release to address a security issue that allows code execution on Win2k and WinXp machines. I'm patching mine now.
forhire
Site Admin

Postby bookwyrm » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:07 pm

Version 0.9.3 was released a while back, I really like it a lot better than the previous versions.

I had actually gone back to the 0.8.x branch, because I disliked 0.9.1 and 0.9.2 so much.

0.9.3 is much stabler, and the extensions work much better than before. I actually prefer it over the 0.8.x branch now.

Definitely worth the upgrade.

Also, for the folks that don't know, (Noticed a lot of questions about this on the Firefox forum.) you'll need to install Macromedia flash for Netscape/Mozilla. Even if you have it installed for Internet Explorer, it won't work.
bookwyrm

Firefox 1.0PR

Postby bookwyrm » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:07 am

I've been testing out the Firefox Preview Release 1.0 for about a week, and I'd have to say that it's much more stable, and a tad faster than the previous branches.

It took just over four days for the Firefox site to go over one million downloads, which was their goal.

Not bad, for a new kid.
bookwyrm

Postby bookwyrm » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:58 pm

Firefox 1.0 was released on Nov 9. Pretty robust, but, then again, I've never had Firefox crash on me.

I'll imagine most of the extensions available for previous versions will be updated in the next few weeks.

One such extension, which I use constantly, is the HTML Validator (With Tidy).
Very handy, for opening your locally edited page, and validating your HTML, without uploading it to the W3C Validator. It is updated for 1.0.
bookwyrm

Postby forhire » Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:05 am

I've been running 1.0 for a while in both Windows and Linux and I have found it to be very stable. If you spend a lot of time on the net you owe it to your self to get a fast clean browser.
forhire
Site Admin

Return to Open Source Software