Open source video security system

This forum is devoted to showing off and discussing open source and free software we use and/or think is worth while. If you're looking for software, post your need here and we'll make a suggestion.

Moderator: forhire

Open source video security system

Postby forhire » Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:25 am

I came across http://www.zoneminder.com/ in my quest to find an open source security system for the store. It has a bootable iso available making it a very easy install with a wide range of supported cameras.

From the site:
"ZoneMinder the top Linux based video camera security solution. ZoneMinder is intended for use in single or multi-camera video security applications, including theft prevention and child or family member or home monitoring and other care scenarios. It supports capture, analysis, recording, and monitoring of video data coming from one or more video or network cameras attached to a Linux system. It is suitable for both do-it-yourself and professional installations."

If your looking for a modern digital security system this may be your ticket.
forhire
Site Admin

Postby forhire » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:07 am

After a week of playing with this I should note two things. First our Axis 200+ web cam is WAY too slow (but I figured that) and the Logitech USB cam that I borrowed from Johnathan works much better with reguard to FPS but the visual quality is poor. At 320x240 it simply lacks the clarity that I need. The good news is that is works great and I'm now shopping for a better camera. Open source is so cool!
forhire
Site Admin

Return to Open Source Software