Ubuntu rocks!

This forum is devoted to showing off and discussing open source and free software we use and/or think is worth while. If you're looking for software, post your need here and we'll make a suggestion.

Moderator: forhire

Ubuntu rocks!

Postby forhire » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:49 am

Recently I needed to replace an old laptop running Redhat 9 that was failing. The laptop ran an old Centroid CNC4 controller using minicom. I decided it was time to try gtkterm because it supports a line by line upload to the controller... allowing me to run very large cut paths.

I started with a hand-me-down P4 with 512 megs of ram. I first installed Centos5. It worked well enough but after a day or two I decided I'd reload it with a few other distros. I'd be using this for a while so I wanted to like it.

I decided to download Ubuntu 7.04. It installed perfectly. Within minutes I had gtkterm installed and working. The installation went so well I installed a few other things like flash, mythtv-frontend and minicom. I was amazed at the ease of it all.

I am now loving Ubuntu. It simply works. The shop now has a fantastic system for running the mill and while it's cutting I can watch TV using mythtv-frontend. :)

I liked it so much I just replace my old Mac G3 at home with a similar P4 running Ubuntu.

http://www.ubuntu.com/
forhire
Site Admin

Postby forhire » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:04 am

Ubuntu 7.10 is out today. I just installed in and so far it's working perfectly. :D
forhire
Site Admin

edubuntu

Postby drake » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:32 pm

I have installed edubuntu on 2 computers one a fujitsu labtop and the installation was smooth! I recommend FOR some KIDS The students in my class have been using them with little to no confusion. I also have edubuntu running on a dual processor dell 420 at home installed flash without much issue. The problems I do have is with periferals like my cannon dvr and playing mp3s.
drake

Return to Open Source Software